Applications are available at Town Hall or on the Town of Darrington website – https://townofdarrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/APPLICATION-FOR-EMPLOYMENT.pdf
Job Title: Public Works Assistant
Job Posting: November 8, 2021
Employment Statue: Non-Exempt, Salary,Full-time, 40 hours per week with some evening meetings
Salary: $4,000.00 – $4,800.00 / monthly depending on experience
Benefits: PERS Retirement, Health, Dental, Vision Insurance, Paid Sick & Vacation Leave, Paid Holidays
Supervision Duties: public works staff
Description Overview: The Public Works Assistant works under the supervision of the Public Works Supervisor and the Mayor to oversee the streets, parks and grounds, water, construction and the maintenance activities of the Town of Darrington facilities and to provide support to Town Council members as needed. Such duties include, various administrative and managerial responsibilities, and the ability to create and plan long-term programs that will develop the growth of our community. Collection and maintenance of public works official records, financial budgeting and reporting, and grant administration.
Essential Duties: The statements contained in this Essential Duty section reflect general details. This list should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work duties. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
- Directs and coordinates written and/or verbal instructions; assigns duties and examines work for legality, exactness, neatness and conformance to policies and procedures
- Research records and obtain information from other offices and agencies as necessary to aid in preparation of reports for the town administration.
- Develops short and long-term goals for Public Works projects and monitor progress
- Schedule appointments, and services in regard to public works issues.
- Order equipment and parts keeping budget issues in mind
- Exercise knowledge of town ordinances, resolutions, policies and procedures.
- Attend after hours meeting as needed
- Inventory and asset tracking
- Provide customer services for concerns and inquiries from citizens in regards to public works matters
- Monitors town construction projects and contracts and prepares and presents reports to Town administration as needed
- Coordinate with administration to help develop and maintain department yearly budget
- Monitor expenditures for all public works fund accounts in accordance to the adopted budget.
- Assists the Planning Department with the comprehensive plan, zoning ordinances and other policy documents, when necessary.
- keeps streets, sidewalks and alleys free of debris.
- maintains all town owned property grounds, including but not limited to airport, town hall, fire department, parks and right of ways, landfill and other properties under town obligation.
- performs all maintenance on town owned buildings as necessary and within employee qualifications
- maintenance of all town owned restrooms
- operates and performs required maintenance on all vehicles and equipment as needed and within employee qualifications.
- maintains all operational aspects of the Town of Darrington Water Department
- maintains, repairs and/or replaces water department equipment within employee qualifications
- Record and maintain daily well logs
- reads customer water meters bi-monthly and perform shutoffs of delinquent accounts
- Manage maintenance and equipment records
Minimum Qualifications: The statements contained in this Minimum Qualifications section reflect general details as necessary to perform the principal functions of this job. This list should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work qualifications.
- Basic knowledge in municipal public works such as planning, design, maintenance, and construction
- Have 2 years’ experience in general maintenance and equipment operations or equivalent combination of experience, education and training that would provide the level of knowledge and ability required for the position.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Operating experience, preferred but not required, in a water treatment plant or distribution system and;
- Capability to obtain Water Distribution Manager level 1 certification within 12 months.
- Must have a valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Have or be willing to acquire a valid Washington State Commercial Vehicle Operator’s License applicable to town owned machinery (CDL)
- Ability to operate and minor maintenance of heavy equipment
- Departmental budget preparation and expenditure control
- General knowledge of contract administration
- Knowledge of records management systems and techniques
- Ability to demonstrate managerial and administrative responsibility
- Experience in evaluating and training staff.
- Knowledge of safe work practices
- Basic computer experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and/or other administrative/accounting products
- Basic knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and regulations regarding public works issues
- Basic knowledge of municipal governments administration, operations, policies, procedures and objectives
- Written and verbal communications skills
- Organizational skills and must be able to manage, prioritize, mesh numerous assignments and cope with interruptions or last-minute changes while working on multiple tasks under deadlines, with the ability to work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Function as an independent self-starter with little supervision
- Ability to work cooperatively with others as a member of the department team
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive materials, records, files, documents and information.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands: Work is done in an outside environment subject to interruptions. Employee must dress accordantly to weather conditions and wear proper safety equipment as required. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to bend at the waist and kneel or crouch to stand or sit, walk, climb, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50+ pounds. Work exposes employee to machinery and its moving parts, fumes, chemicals or toxic substances and requires working with potentially dangerous machinery and sharp tools. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Town of Darrington is an equal opportunity employer